Kirchoff's Law:

Kirchhoff’s Laws:
It is used for solving electrical networks. Kirchhoff’s laws, two in number, are particularly useful
(a)To determining the equivalent resistance of a complicated network of conductors
(b)For calculating the currents flowing in the various conductors.
Kirchhoff’s Point Law or Current Law (KCL):
It states that in any electrical network, the algebraic sum of the currents meeting at a point is zero.
It means that the total current leaving a junction=total current entering that junction.
Example:
Consider the case of a few conductors meeting at a point A as in Fig Some conductors have currents leading to point A, whereas some have currents leading away from point A. 
Assuming the incoming currents to be (+)ve and the outgoing currents (-ve) we have
I1 + (−I2) + (−I3) + (+ I4) + (−I5) = 0
or I1 + I4 −I2 −I3 −I5 = 0 or I1 + I4 = I2 + I3 + I5
Incoming currents = Outgoing currents.

Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law (KVL):
It states as follows :
The algebraic sum of the products of currents and resistances in each of the conductors in any closed path  in a network plus the algebraic sum of the e.m.fs. in that path is zero.
In other words,
 Î£ IR + Σ e.m.f. = 0
Previous
Next Post »